Saturday, March 04, 2006

My scenic hillside outing














No matter how knowledgeable we think we are (as shown above in a post secret from this week) we do or say things wrong and only after many years, actually learn what we should be doing or, in this case, saying.

However today I embarked on something that was a brand spanking new adventure and the scenicity (I do know this is not a proper word but I’m sure my lisa-colloquialism will be understood by all who read this) of my trip was a mistake anyone could have made! I had never caught the bus from Stirling to town and the fact that the bus actually said to the city made my scenic adventure somewhat reasonable. Last night I had caught up with some friends from school in Stirling and stayed the night at Megan’s house. Gratefully she gave me a lift to the bus station which would have otherwise been a 30 minute hike. Being a suburban city girl (meaning living in a suburb next to town), I was used to jumping on random buses and them going past or near my house. Naturally I just jumped on the first bus that came with the words to the city on the front. Peculiarly no one else at the bus stop got on the bus but I thought perhaps they had been sitting in the bus shelter for the last ten minutes waiting to meet a friend or were getting picked up by a parent from the bus shelter … you never know. So I boarded the bus and choose my favourite seat, 4 from the back, right hand side ( I am only joking, seriously I don’t have a bus seat preference, I’m pretty spontaneous when it comes to buses). Traveling along on the bus, I was thankful, thinking “I’m on the bus, only 20 minutes or so to I get to town.” WRONG. There is an incredible time difference between the route taken by the 16something buses and the 820. The 820 is actually for all those people who can’t get enough of the surprisingly unique and fabulously interesting trees of the hills and want to spend an hour staring at them. See the 820 is a hills bus to the max. I had a wonderful tour of the hills, through aldgate, Stirling, crafers, uradula and summertown and then finally making the slow and curved journey to Grenfell st and home. If you run a tourist company, I seriously recommend taking your tourists busing via this route. They will undoubtedly have a FULL appreciation for the exquisite beauty of Adelaidian scenery and a perfect accurate image of the different heights and ways gum trees can grow (such as the differences in branch numbers between gum trees).

Anyway I must say it was an educational hour and a half spent getting home. I now know both what bus to avoid if going to Stirling and the bus that goes to Steph’s house (should I ever bus it there).Also should I ever wish to be a bus driver one day (you never know), I will now know not to take routes in the hills because turning corners in a bus is extremely difficult compared to a car. Furthermore one can only handle so much pointless scenery (where you take the scenic route past things you have already seen many times before) in their lifetime. While this post may have slightly drawn on the negative aspects of my traveling experience, it was indeed an opportune time to relax and do some reading so for all those folks out there who feel like taking some timeout in a strange way, catch this bus and for an hour and a half you can just sit there and do whatever you like!


Well I seem to be a bit of a television addict (but then again TV is the brain food of our generation) so I thought I’d follow Ron’s example (the loveable oldie on rove) and do a movie review. Last night I saw The Longest Yard which is a movie about convicts who play their guards in a footy game. It really was a prime example of how one can extend a ten minute plot to fill a whole movie. The entire movie was centered on the game and once the game ended, the movie ended so there was no after the game hangout that I’d been longing to watch all movie. I think Adam Sandler might have had some say in directing it (he was also in it with Nelly and Chris Rock). Anyway there were all these sub plots going on that I think were meant to be funny but actually brought about the kind of laughs you’d save for later (i.e. not funny enough to make you actually want to laugh). An example is that some of the prisoners dressed up in what reassembled tea clothes and pretended to be ladies and then one of these men ladies was having some secret relationship with one of the men guy prisoners(Kiss of the Spiderwomen relived for all those Manuel Puig lovers out there). Overall it gets 1.5 stars out of 5; it wasn’t boring but the plot and some parts of it, like the excessively violent beating didn’t quite put it up there with the good movies of our day. Also at Megan’s movie night, I saw Hating Alison Ashley for the second time and it is one of those movies that is in fact better the second time though Delta will never be a Hilary or Mary Kate/ Ashley so Delta isn’t quite right for this form of poor quality movie.
Well on that note,
Have a fabulous day everyone!!!
Love Lisa

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a fun trip!!

4:18 pm  
Blogger AJ said...

i reckon i woulda struggled to write that much about how i got on a bus that took the scenic route through the hills and down greenhill road! proves i'm not creative

6:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeh i'm always so scared of getting on the wrong bus. I'm not very busirate. (thats like literate but with buses.) And I so know what you mean about discovering things you though were right are wrong. Happens often. like with the location of melbourne. anyway good post lisa, and unfortunatly I spoke to my friend who had the lobster costume and he doesn't have it anymore so you will have to think of another idea! sorry! have a good week, xox

7:26 pm  
Blogger sez said...

WELL. how INTERESTING!! i think i used to catch the 830 to town in the MORNINGS, and the 840 home in the AFTERNOONS when i was still at annesley.

i saw the longest yard on the plane back from perth, and i'd have to agree wtih you, though it was really sad, i have to say, when that guy got blown up :-(

anyway, once again, good writing!!

7:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH LISA!

I love your blog, it made my similarly exciting day to read your very insightful comments about trees/Adelaide/the shittest movie of all time (apart from Psycho Beach Party, fuck that was awful). Anyway miss you and can't wait to hear about more of your adelaidian adventures, love from France!

6:25 am  
Blogger AJ said...

hey lisa, i think its time for another story ;) your writing is so cool, you're so creative. how'd your talk at seymour go the other day?

6:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, good story lisa, I wouldn't know what it's like to get on the wrong bus :p (only mel and lisa will get that sorry).

The other day I was trying to get home from Mouscron. And I hoped on a bus I had seen near where I live and it started to go into france and then winding between France and Belgium, I was terrified I'd never get home. But it did finally get to Herseaux (only 45 mins later)

9:52 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home